• March 8, 2013

SOPA and ACTA threaten internet use of American teens

Websites like Tumblr have days where all their pictures/posts are censored to try and encourage users to sign the anti-SOPA petition.

Morgan McFadden, Reporter
March 19, 2012

The latest pandemonium about the Internet is caused by a possible law called the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA, which  is causing uprises, riots, and protests all across the country. This law would affect all age groups who use a computer, but most of all, teenagers.

Some popular sites among teens are social media WebPages such as Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter and MySpace. On all these sites, users can put up pictures and post statuses of quotes that don’t belong to them. SOPA would stop this from happening. On Tumblr, a picture blogging website, teens reblog pictures that also don’t belong to them. Some of these popular sites would have to be shut down if SOPA passes.

“If Tumblr or Facebook is shut down, everybody, including myself, would be so mad, it’s how everybody keeps in touch besides cell phones. And plus, I would get so bored in my spare time. I’m definitely not a fan of the bill,” said sophomore Brock Keltz.

Most students don’t know, but the bill SOPA is actually dead, but Europe has a bill much like SOPA, but a little bit stricter. “Well if ACTA is in Europe then we don’t really have to worry about it, it’s a completely different continent,” said freshman Shae Sampson.

Little do students know, if ACTA is passed in Europe, it could affect the United States quite a bit.  ACTA being passed would give Europe a chance to try and influence America to also pass the piracy law.

“I think that if ACTA passes, then SOPA will probably come back and be passed. But I really only think that the law would stop people from illegally downloading music,” said Tommy Floegel.

“I think it depends on what websites the person uses to determine how much SOPA will affect them. Tumblr will probably be a main target of SOPA, and so will sites that let people download music for free,” Sophomore, Brock Keltz said.

Many websites like Tumblr have been having days where they block out pictures on the site to demonstrate what SOPA would look like. They are hoping that this will encourage their users to vote against the law.

If you’re interested and want to keep track of the congress votes for and/or against SOPA, you can go to sopatrack.com and follow the bill.

Comments

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.