• March 8, 2013

Helping the Community one WORD at a time

Lindsey Laski, Managing Editor

Putting their Spanish speaking skills to the test, the Spanish 9-10 students realized that all of the past years of Spanish really pay off.  Throughout the past years, the teachers have been preparing you for the real world. Whether it be grammar, vocabulary, and even the right accent, there is much put to the test when entering into Spanish 9-10.  One of the main assignments for the class is community service.  This last week, some selected students put their Spanish speaking skills to the test.  They worked together with the Live Love Organization and surveyed the people in the rural neighborhoods in Chandler. 

With all of the help that each of neighbors asked for during the survey, you may be thinking, where will the money and ability to complete these tasks come from? 

“All the funds needed for doing the project work on the homes for Live Love Day is donated by community organizations and businesses willing to pitch in and help.  We are still in need of donations for this year’s events and continue to ask for help in this area.,” said Melinda Gunther, the executive producer of the Live Love organization.   

The students that participated went from house to house and asked the neighbors questions to see what could be done to fix their neighborhoods.  More than just speaking Spanish, the students feel like it was a great experience.

“I had so much fun doing the surveys.  I feel so much more comfortable speaking in Spanish because it as real life situations.  Plus, with the experience of speaking, it made me even more blessed for what I have.,” said Senior, Heather Wilkins who participated in the survey. 

The experience was an overall success because it helped the students in different areas; they received the opportunity to use what they have learned in their past years of Spanish actually help people in the process.  The nerves were high in the beginning but after a few houses they realized, it was not so bad after all.

Comments

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.